11 Smart Ways to Save on Heating Costs
This day and age, many people are looking to reduce their carbon footprint. They’re also looking to spend a little less money on heating costs and save a little more for traveling and (dare we say) retirement. That’s why adopting a new way of thinking and saving energy at home can put you on the right path:
1. Dress warm. It might sound obvious, but just think how often we take heating for granted when we can simply put on an extra sweater (which we spent money on to keep us warm too).
2. Change your bed sheets. Switch to flannel and put rugs on your floor. The extra insulation can save you a trip in the little on the night to the hallway when your start shivering because your sheets aren’t warm enough.
3. Minimize your use of kitchen and bathroom fans. They’re useful but can suck out a lot of hot air.
4. Reverse your ceiling fan. This will bring warm air back down to the floor level, since heat rises.
5. Change the filter regularly. It might be hard to forget, but if your filter is dirty then your heat will have to work harder to pump out warm air. And the harder it has to work, the more money you’re wasting.
6. Turn down the thermostat. That’s right! A couple degrees cooler when you’re away or asleep can make a significant difference on your heating bill.
7. Insulate. The more you insulate your home, the less the air will escape. Cover your basement, attic, and that one cool spot in your home (everyone’s got one).
8. Wrap your ducts. Air can easily leak out, so wrap them tight to make sure it doesn’t happen to you.
9. Use a wood burning fireplace. Skip the gas fireplace. If you have a wood burning one, you can cut your costs in half throughout the winter – it’s the natural and smart way!
10. Get a tune up. Ask your local HVAC professional. You should schedule one at least once a year – trust us, that small expense can save you big bucks.
11. Kick out the old unit. If repairs and monthly bills are costing you a fortune, it might be time to say goodbye to that old unit and hello to a new one.
At Leslie Heating & Cooling, comfort and conserving money is our priority. We are a family-owned and operated business based in Woodridge, Illinois and are here for all of your HVAC emergency needs, heating installation, and maintenance. To learn more, give us a call at 630.621.9419 or visit our website.